In my post, Butter: Bugs 256 and 290, I said that there was a problem with one of the tickets that I reviewed, and that bug 459 was filed to deal with it. This bug involves fixing the error message given to the user. Although this is simple, I find it very important to display meaningful, consistent messages to the user. It adds to the user experience.
Before, when an invalid start or end time for a track event was entered, the error message displayed was:
You’ve entered an invalid start or end time. Please verify that they are both greater than 0, the end time is equal to or less than the media’s duration, and that the start time is less than the end time.
I have changed it to
You have entered an invalid in or out time. Please verify that
- Both in and out times are greater than 0.
- The out time is equal to, or less than the media’s duration (duration of the media, in seconds, displayed here).
- The in time is less than the out time.
Three things to note are:
- The error message now refers to start and end times as in and out times, since that is how it is displayed to the user in the editor.
- The media’s duration is displayed in the error message.
- The error message is now displayed as a bulleted list for readability.
The pull request for this patch is here.